Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in getting money for college. It is required for federal student aid. However, the FAFSA results may also be used for private scholarships, money that comes directly from the college or university and also for state financial aid, all with different deadlines.
The direct link is https://studentaid.gov/
The FAFSA asks for BASIC information about your family’s financial situation and, depending on your circumstances, you will need your parent’s tax information, social security number, and driver’s license.
You can contact Itawamba Community College for assistance or you can contact get2college.org for an appointment. They will provide FREE hands-on and confidential assistance for completing the FAFSA. They also have FAFSA tutorials on their You Tube Channel.
Available Scholarships and Deadlines
CREATE Foundation Scholarships:
CLOSED - Scholarships will open in January
Other Local/State Scholarships:
- Christian Leaders of the Future Scholarship- Deadline October 6, 2023
- Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency (MORA) Scholarships - Deadline October 27, 2023 (postmarked by midnight)
- Mississippi Professional Educators Scholarship High School Senior Scholarships - Deadline March 22, 2024 at 4:30 PM
Most scholarships come directly from individual colleges and universities, these are considered institutional scholarships. Complete applications for admission in the fall of your senior year. You must be accepted for admission in order to receive scholarships and ﬁnancial aid. Sometimes the application for admission is used to award scholarships, however many colleges have additional applications.
There may be departmental scholarships or scholarships for specific programs such as Honors Colleges, or talent based scholarships requiring auditions or portfolios. Check out each college’s financial aid website for the institutions "General Scholarship Application" and make sure you meet all the deadlines.
- LuckyDay Scholarship Program
- The University of Mississippi - Deadline January 10, 2024 - http://www.olemiss.edu/studentaffairs/luckyday
- Mississippi State University - Deadline December 1, 2023 - https://www.luckyday.msstate.edu/application
- The University of Southern Mississippi - January 15, 2024 - https://www.usm.edu/luckyday-scholars/faqs.php
Other Scholarship Websites
Below you will find some links to websites and search engines that may prove to be useful in your search for additional private scholarships.