Dear Parents, Staff, and Administrative Team:
Tupelo High School will transition to all virtual learning from Nov 16- Nov 20. In person classes at THS will resume on Monday, Nov 30. During this week, all THS students are expected to log on to their CANVAS assignment pages to complete assignments. Attendance will be taken by teachers. This decision does not impact any other TPSD schools and is consistent with the language in our TPSD Recovery Plan.
- Outbreak ≥ 3 cases within any group with multiple outbreaks across the district.
- Coordinate with local and state health officials.
- Schools closed by Governor’s Executive Order or TPSD Board of Trustees
- Schools that are closed remain closed until Executive Order is lifted or given the clearance from local and state health officials.
School Closure Decision Points:
- Multiple simultaneous outbreaks of affected groups (e.g., ≥ 3 separate groups impacted).
- Difficulty operating schools due to staff absences.
There are 30 staff members at the high school who are currently out on COVID related leave. We believe this week of virtual learning will give everyone time to complete the required two-week quarantine period and return to school after the Thanksgiving Holiday.
I want to thank all of our teachers, staff, administrative team, and especially our school nurses. Everyone has been working very hard to keep schools open. We monitor the COVID-19 numbers daily and are committed to transparency and open communication.
Parents, Staff, and Community Members:
During these challenging times, TPSD believes it is best to keep parents informed about Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) guidance and operate with full disclosure about the number of positive cases and students in quarantine as a result of close contact. We will publish this information on our webpage every Friday. In an effort to keep students and staff safe, we will follow the guidance issued by MSDH. Working together, we can keep our staff and students safe.
City officials have teamed with TPSD to provide additional hot spots throughout Tupelo, as shown on the interactive map.