TPSD’s Transportation Department is responsible for the secure and efficient transportation of students to and from their homes to 16 different school sites. We have over 100 bus drivers and bus monitors and a fleet of 74 buses which are driven daily. This department also fulfills other transportation needs including field trips, athletic trips, and other educational trips.
Dear Tupelo Parent or Guardian:
The Tupelo Public School Transportation Department provides safe and efficient transportation for our students in grades K-12. All students that attend Tupelo Schools will at times ride a bus, either to and from school, athletic trips, field trips, or other school functions. To ensure the safety of all our students we ask for the support of the parents in implementing the following guidelines and making sure the students understand what is expected of them.
1. Know the route they will take to and from the bus stop.
2. Know safety precautions and proper behavior to be maintained in route and at the bus stop.
3. Know correct bus route number (a signed note from the parent/guardian and approval from the transportation director is required to ride a different bus or to get off at a stop other than the usual stop for that student).
4. Call the transportation department if your bus is more than 15 minutes late.
5. Carry school ID at all times.
In addition, it is critical that your child ALWAYS boards and departs the bus at the correct stop as known and approved by transportation and you. Children should be at the bus stop 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick up time. Although we hope it will never be necessary for your family to be concerned with violations of bus rules, you and your child should be aware of the disciplinary procedures used to correct problems. Please take time to go over some of our rules:
1. Remain seated at all times unless loading and unloading.
2. Always comply with the bus drivers/monitors directions.
3. Use your classroom/inside voice only.
4. Keep hands, feet, and head inside of bus and to yourself.
5. No eating or drinking is allowed on the bus.
The consequences of inappropriate behavior or actions on the bus are fully explained in the Student Code of Conduct. PLEASE NOTE: IN INCIDENTS INVOLVING MAJOR VIOLATIONS DESCRIBED IN THE STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT AN IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION OF RIDING PRIVILEGES MAY BE IMPOSED.
By working together we can safeguard your child/children from potential hazards associated with all aspects of transportation, both on and off the bus. I hope you and your child/children have a productive and safe 2022-23 academic year. If you have any further questions, please call the Transportation Department at 662-841-8908.
Director of Transportation
Director of Transportation
3606 Jeff Homan Boulevard
Tupelo, MS 38801