The Communications Department strives to provide accurate and timely information to all staff, students, parents, the community at large, and the media on relevant educational matters, important achievements and upcoming events. We also promote our district via our communication platforms include our website, social media, electronic newsletters and digital and print media. We are proud to serve as ambassadors for the district and the awesome opportunities offered.
- TPSD Volunteer Board Policy
- Volunteer Background Check Information
- Volunteer Opportunities
Specific contact details are provided for some opportunities, or contact Mary Ann Plasencia (email@example.com) if your group is interested in volunteering on a multi-school basis.
However, the district does reserve the right to require any person to submit to additional criminal background checks or to rerun background checks at any time based on reasonable suspicion of an individual's status.
Volunteer applicants will now go to the Fillmore Center from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (Wednesday- Appt. Only) to submit the required materials and to pay the $35 fee for the criminal background check. The Fillmore Center is located at 903 Fillmore Drive, Tupelo, MS 38801.
The background check procedure for volunteers is as follows:
1. Volunteer completes Form GBAC-EXHIBIT Authorization for Criminal Background Check (found on school website or hard copy at any school office).
2. Volunteer presents social security card and driver's license or state issued ID to designated TPSD employee in the Activities/Athletics Department located at the Fillmore Center. The employee will make copies of the cards for the application. (Fillmore Center is located at 903 Fillmore Drive, Tupelo, MS 38801.)
3. Background check hours are 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (Wednesday Appt. Only) at the Fillmore Center.
4. The volunteer pays the fees to the designated TPSD employee for FBI background check and registry for child abuse check (employee will receipt and deposit funds according to TPSD guidelines). A database will be kept with the names of volunteers who have applied.
5. The TPSD Employee will complete fingerprinting of volunteer, and then the employee will send the packet to Human Resources (HR) for mailing.
6. HR will mail the packet to the MDE approved vender. (Usually takes 4-6 weeks for processing.)
7. HR sends the results to superintendent's designee who then notifies volunteer and schools of eligibility status of volunteer. The volunteer database will be updated as reports come back to the District and will reflect eligibility status.
TMS contact: Brock English
Lawndale contact : Melissa Thomas
Field Trip Chaperones
A background check is required in order to volunteer for this opportunity. Information about this process is provided on this site.
Proctors Needed at All Schools During Testing
This can be a weekly or bi-monthly commitment for 30 minutes or 60 minutes. A great opportunity for civic organizations or churches!
Science lab volunteers are needed at our K-5 schools to assist teachers with science experiments and small group lab projects. Weekly or monthly opportunities are available and no background check is required.
Contact the School if you are interested in tutoring at a specific school.
Mary Ann Plasencia
Director of Communications
P. O. Box 557
Tupelo, MS 38802
72 South Green Street
Tupelo, MS 38804